HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

End of the Age

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:02

No, you’re not hallucinating, this is happening.

With that out of the way, let’s get down to brass tacks (details).

Set up: This RP will start with a Nilfgaardian expedition discovering Westeros (yes, Witcher and GoT are on the same world in this particular set up for simplicities’ sake), during the reign of Aegon V (but it will be more towards the end of his reign). From there, we go to the Nilfgaardians establishing diplomatic contact and founding a colony on Westeros. Then, we begin to look at how the Nilfgaardian presence would change things in Westeros. Firstly, trade should be the obvious first aspect. Secondly, Nilfgaard would likely get involved in Robert’s Rebellion and the Greyjoy Rebellion as for the former, Aerys is likely to provoke them in his insanity and for the latter, Nilfgaard is so rich I can’t imagine the Greyjoys passing up the opportunity to raid Nilfgaardian ships. Thirdly, the situation at the Wall would be massively different as the Nilfgaardians, especially their emperor, aren’t idiots and once they learn about the Others/White Walkers, they’re going to put two and two together very quickly and will likely start to reinforce and repair the Wall (and I doubt any of the noble houses of Westeros will particularly care, given they’ve forgotten how important the Wall is, that to them, if a foreign empire wants to waste time and resources there, they’re not going to bat an eye), although I’m sure this will cause some conflict with the Night’s Watch. Oh, as a final note, I’d say that Witcher timeline wise, this is taking place before and then during the events of Witcher 3.

Seasons: To quickly touch on this, seasons on Westeros and Essos are unchanged (given their seasons are caused by Ralor and the Great Other fighting), but from what we’ve been able to find, Temaria has standard seasons, even though in the games, we only really seem to see it in summer, there are mentions of other seasons found in the games (notably in Witcher 3, where the Nilfgaardian advance was halted by a terrible winter the prior year). Why is this? Neither Ralor nor the Great Other have any influence on Temaria, and they may not even know it exists. Thus, that’s why Temaria has regular seasons.

On the subject of Witcher’s dwarves and elves: Okay, for the first group, the answer should be obvious. The Westerosi will scorn them, just like they scorn all dwarves (even though Witcher dwarves are more like the typical fantasy dwarf, as opposed to GoT’s more biologically accurate dwarves, IE: GoT’s dwarves are just stunted humans). As for elves, I think that would be a bit more complex and how welcome they were would vary from place to place.

Why the Nilfgaardian emperor > Tywin and his influence: Don’t expect the Nilfgaardian emperor to make any personal appearances, but you can certainly feel his presence in just about anything Nilfgaard related to one degree or another. Now, here’s the thing. The man is basically a more dangerous Tywin Lannister. Why? He’s far more pragmatic than Tywin ever was (which is saying something) and he’s less of a control freak. The latter point is of great importance given that where Tywin was concerned, everything had to be exactly as he wanted it to be and nothing else. Nilfgaard’s emperor (or Emhyr var Emreis if you prefer his real name) is controlling, but to a dangerously lesser extent than Tywin. The man understands that nothing will ever go perfectly to plan and he plans and reacts accordingly, as opposed to Tywin, who always struck me as too rigid.

Nilfgaardian military forces versus Westerosi levies: This…well, I’m going to be blunt. The Westerosi would have to drown Nilfgaardian troops in corpses to win a fight against them. There’s really no contest here. Nilfgaardian troops are highly trained and equipped professionals who wear partial or full plate armor, and that’s not an exaggeration. Every single Nilfgaardian footman has at least partial plate, but in Witcher 3, it appears most of them got an upgrade to some form of full plate. Combine this with their longsword/tower shield combos or their halberds, and the Nilfgaardians would be a nightmare for the Westerosi to fight, especially if you consider how poorly trained, equipped, and motivated the average levy is. This is also why the Nilfgaardians are basically winning back on Temaria. Admittedly, their enemies there are more competently trained, equipped, and motivated, but they’re still losing to Nilfgaard, albeit, they’re losing slowly. Now, that being said, the elite guard of the noble houses would probably stand a better chance given they’re the actual professional troops of Westerosi armies. However, given that Westeros is still feudal, they’d be small in number compared to the levies who make up the majority of Westerosi armies. Westerosi knights would stand a better chance against Nilfgaardian troops, assuming any given knight wasn’t a moron who expects the Nilfgaardians to adhere to some sort of code of “honor and chivalry”, seeing as how the Nilfgaardians seem to lack anything of the sort when it comes to battle. Further, from what I can tell, the Nilfgaardians seem to have some form of meritocracy. I can imagine this causing some…problems with the Westerosi seeing as how they’re a feudal society. They don’t often promote a farmer to a command position, even if said farmer is an able commander, unlike the Nilfgaardians who DO promote farmers and other occupations. To be even more blunt, if you want a straight fight against Nilfgaardians 1) Make sure you’re a competent commander that’s on par with theirs and 2) Shell out your family fortune for some Unsullied, otherwise, you’re going to have to resort to hoping your superior numbers will work to your advantage (and that’s assuming the levies don’t break and run). In regards to Nilfgaardian militia versus Westerosi levies, the average militia in Nilfgaard is usually made up of men that serve in the army but are currently not drafted into it at the time, thus they are still able to perform civilian functions such as farming or carpentry. While they would not keep most of their gear on hand they probably have a town armory, but they would not have their full combat gear unless they bought it themselves which on their wages they could if they were not frivolous with their income. Militia would have on average a mix match of chain and hardened leather reinforced with chain and weapon wise it would be whatever the smith tolled out or simple spears and hatchets with clubs, hammers, and hunting bows/crossbows added in, keeping in mind the potential for militia members to have used their income to buy better weapons and armor for themselves as stated above.

On the subject of Witchers in Westeros: Let’s be honest here, there’s no way the Nilfgaardians would set up a colony on a new continent without hiring a Witcher or two (especially since they’re the only faction that appreciates Witchers). I suggest that we have the max of two at the start just to help make up for the otherwise lack of numbers of the professional Nilfgaardian troops. Further, Witchers would be even more a nightmare for the Westerosi to face in a fight, given their skill with blade, crossbow, and magic, be it on foot or horseback. I’d also imagine the average Westorsi peasant’s reaction would be similar to how most Temarians view Witchers, meaning disdain and distrust right up until they actually need to hire one and then returning to status quo once the job is done. How the noble houses would react to them would vary on a house to house basis. Further, in regards to the Others/White Walkers, aside from Igni, we’ve decided that at the start, Witchers can’t hurt them easily. This means their silver blades aren’t as effective against the Others as it is other magical creatures. So until the Witchers figure out that Dragonglass (obsidian) is effective against the Others, it’s best to have a Witcher remember that discretion is the better part of valor. That being said, I don’t think a White Walker would fair well against a member of the Wild Hunt (I’ll get to them later). In fact, this brings me to the subject of magic in Westeros and Essos. Finally, just keep in mind how dangerous Witchers really are: The Unsullied are vagabonds compared to them.

On magic and magical creatures: Remember, in Westeros and Essos, magic died, or at least went dormant, when the last of the Targaryen dragons died. This means that magical creatures such as the various necrophages, hybrids, cursed ones (like botchlings), and all the rest are basically in a form of suspended animation and aren’t much of a problem at the outset, so don’t expect to see many, if any, ghouls eating the dead or drowners rising form the murky waters to drown the unwary. Although, since magic is only dormant and not dead, this could mean a few ghouls/other creatures, here and there though scattered and most likely away from the prying eyes of civilized folk (note from Dargoth: some ghouls after years of unliving regain their lost intelligence and can be reasoned with/hired). Of course, this also means the Nilfgaardians and Witchers won’t know this, so expect conflict because of this as well(ignorance is bliss but also a curse) . Essos is largely the same as it was in canon (maybe a few giant scorpions or manticores), so that means there appears to be no magic in Essos (besides the cult of Ralor), until after Daenarys’ dragons hatched. This possibly means that before they hatched, ghouls were potentially a minor problem at best. After they hatch and start to grow however….That’s any one’s guess really. Also, the small amount of magic Witchers know would probably still remain just because they’re not terribly intrinsic spells, as compared to what mages tend to pull off, meaning mages/sorceresses are severely restricted in Westeros and Essos due to the scarcity of magic on these continents. This is because they have to draw more on their own magical reserves rather than the ambient magic in the air around them, this causes mages and sorceresses to tire much faster and burn up their magical reserves at a faster rate risking injury if they force more then what they can handle. Once the dragons hatch magic will again begin to return to Westeros and Essos but it will still be weakened due the still low amount of magic in the world. However if a Tamerian dragon migrates to Westeros that will aid in the return of magic. Of course, when magic does start to return, that means things are just going to get worse all around (botchlings everywhere anyone?). Besides the creatures of the Witcher returning, the return of magic may ignite the elder blood that has been dormant in the people of Westeros and Essos, leading to new magical accidents or if they can control themselves new heroes/threats. Over all until the time when magic returns and the waters of mana flow again, things should remain relatively simple for the poor people of Westeros/Essos. Finally while magic is a great power it is also a great responsibility. To quote a different game all together "Magic exists to serve man never to rule over them". Those who sacrifice to gain the power of magic can use it for the betterment of the world or for their own selfish gain, usually the latter ends with a burning and I don’t mean fireballs, because while they have great power they are still only human, a bolt will kill them as easily as a spell. (Note this is true and not meant to cripple mages, merely illustrate that even a dirty peasant with a rake can get lucky and kill a Witcher aka how Geralt bit it the first time.)

The Wild Hunt: Well…I’m not quite sure how to factor them into this, but I think we can all agree they should NOT be anywhere near Westeros or Essos come the start of this adventure. Oh, it’s a given they’re going to show up, but they should come later. How later, I don’t know, but at the very most their presence should be the sort that’s minimal at best, but one that can be felt, right up until they start their usual raids on Westerosi villages and all that. As for how they’d fair against the Others……That’s an experiment we’ll have to conduct when we come to that bridge.
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:06

Very nice Arken!!
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:08

OOC: Thank you. *Sees your avatar.* That's hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Sir BushWookie

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:14

OOC: a Thank you
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:27

Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:32

OOC: And without further ado, let's get this train wreck started.

IC:

*From the deck of his flagship, Captain of Nilfgaard Albrecht Günther Schreiber stands at the helm, searching for land through his spy glass. Finally, he sees something. Land, the very thing his expedition was sent to find, for glory of the emperor and Nilfgaard. He orders his small fleet to chart a course for the land he sighted. As they draw closer and the day grows older, he once again observes the steadily approaching land. He can more clearly make out some features, and spies what appears to be, of all things, an observatory. He notes that in his log, and retires to his quarters for the night.*
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:33

siting in his bunk a few bottles of wine next to his bed a wticher hired by the emperor to protect this expedition rolls out of his bed
Back to top Go down
Azrok

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:37

his lieutenant walks up to him in full armor
"orders?"
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:41

Albrecht: Get some sleep, Lieutenant. We're not making landfall till tomorrow at the earliest.

*Meanwhile, said Witcher's partner, a Witcher of the bear school, is awoken by the sound of the impact.*

Drake *rather irritated*: Damn it, Berk! I told you not to drink so much before you slept. I swear, if you vomit on me again I'll toss you over board.
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:43

berk: shuudap not like i dident see you hugging that bottle of vodka. (cracks his neck)
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:44

at the port
"sir, we've got a message from the observatory. unknown vessels spotted. their sigil is unknown to us"
"send out a scouting ship. find out who it is"
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:45

Drake: Only because it tasted better than that swill you tried to make before we left port....And you know I hate to drink. Messes with my reflexes to damn much.
Back to top Go down
Azrok

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:45

it nods and walks pasts the witchers quarters and takes off her armor right in front of them and sits on her bed sharpening her blade
note her bed is a tad bigger and not a bunk bed
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:50

were on a sodding boat if the drink dont make you sick the rocking will, right better report to captain prissy pants. no offense lt
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:52

Drake: Best not call him that around his lieutenant, or this ship really. You know how they are about respecting your "superiors"....That and they're the ones paying us. I'd rather not lose money cause you insulted them.
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:53

berk: fair enough so anything to report miss?
Back to top Go down
Azrok

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:54

she laughs a bit sharpening her blade
hanna: yeah otherwise you wont need that prick in your trousers anymore
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:55

Drake: As much a living hell I'm sure that would be for Berk here, I think what he meant was: "Are we any closer to being off this damn ship?"
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:56

berk:(laughs at that) right fair enough. and as always the bear is correct.
Back to top Go down
Azrok

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:56

hanna: tomorrow we will reach land
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 01:57

Drake: Wonderful. I can finally stop vomiting like a bloated rotfiend.
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:00

a small ship approaches
a tower as its sigil
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:02

Berk looks out the window. "huh looks like we have a welcoming party, guess we have to work. (gets up and puts his armor on and belts his swords to his back) think one of them is a alp this time?
Back to top Go down
Azrok

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:06

she gets her armor on and alerts her captain
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:08

*The Nilfgaardian ships slow and furl their sails, the mostly black flags almost invisible in the morning sun. Captain Albrecht comes to the deck to meet and observe the newcomers.*

*Drake dons his armor and weapons as well.*

Drake: Wouldn't that just be our luck. *He goes out and onto the deck.*
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:10

Berk: then i would finally win the vampires are everywhere bet sure its 99 and 0 but i will win one day.
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:11

the ship does likewise
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:11

berk heads out to the top deck of the ship
Back to top Go down
Azrok

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:12

hanna followed her captain in full armor with her engraved sword
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:15

Drake: Yes, but given that Alps are higher vampires and those things are rarer than most creatures, I don't think you'll ever win that bet.

*Captain Albrecht waits until the smaller ship is closer, his black armor not even glistening in the sun, his hand on the hilt of his sword. When the other ship is closer, he calls out to its crew.*

Albrecht: In the name of his Imperial Majesty Emhyr var Emreis and Nilfgaard, I greet you! Do you speak a word of common?
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:22

berk: i will one day. and on that day i will gloat. (stands behind the captain)
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:22

*Drakes stands behind the captain's other shoulder.*
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:25

a knight replies to him
"i'm surprised that you do"
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:28

Albrecht: The surprise is mutual. We were not expecting to find inhabited land.
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:31

berk: (whispering) so think they are like the backwater lords of temaria?
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:32

"who are you?"
Back to top Go down
Azrok

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:33

hanna is holding a nilfgaardian banner
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:34

Drake *whispering*: Maybe...to early to tell.

Albrecht: Captain Albrecht Günther Schreiber of Nilfgaard.
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:35

Berk (whispering) true
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:39

"where?"
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:45

Albrecht: Nilfgaard, the greatest empire the world has seen. Although...I suppose you wouldn't know that. Can you tell us where we are?
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:48

"ser Desmond Erran. Knight of Oldtown and the Reach"
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:50

Albrecht: "The Reach"? Is that what your land is called? Very well...Is your port large enough to accommodate our ships?
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 02:59

"it is. and yes, the reach is where i am from"
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 03:01

Albrecht: I see. Very well, we can talk about your land's name and history later. If is not asking to much, would you help guide us into port? I'd rather not have one of my ships run aground due to a lack a of nautical charts.
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 03:05

"very well, but we will be watching you, so be warned"
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 03:10

Albrecht: I would expect as much. *He orders the Nilfgaardian fleet to follow the small vessel into port.*
Back to top Go down
Dargoth

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 03:10

Berk: well that went well
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Arken

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 03:11

Drake: A bit to well I'd say.....
Back to top Go down
Gorath

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   2015-07-06, 03:12

the ship follows, and they are met by guards

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: End of the Age   

Back to top Go down

End of the Age
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 20Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warhammer Gaming Rejects RP community :: RP stuff :: Misc. (The "original" settings/universes we come up with)-
Jump to: